Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Balls of Fury


This week I saw another awesomely bad movie and that movie was Balls of Fury. After seeing this movie I would say it had to possibly be one of the dumbest movies I have ever seen. Now that though is not necessarily a bad thing. I do not think that a single scene or moment of this movie was desiring a smidgen of intelligence. The premise of this movie stars around a washed up ping pong phenom named Randy Daytona, played by Dan Fogler, who is brought back into the world of ping pong to help take down the man who killed his father.

I went in to watching this movie with thate though that I wanted to laugh. Of course, this movie did just that it made me laugh and laugh and some very stupid things throughout the movie. While it will not go into the vault of some of the best awesomely bad movies, it did leave me with a great smile on my face and being happy. For me it did this because of the simple fact this movie was a serious movie about ping pong. And just the simple fact that there are actually people out there that take such a slight game as serious, in the way that the characters portray their love for the sport. It's pointless, silly, and down-right brain cell killing. But I found myself forgiving everyone because they were so good-hearted in waltzing around with their idiotic humor. 

Balls of Fury is written by Thomas Lennon who also plays the funny german ping pong player in the movie. His style is to be a little abstract, and uses pacing to help with the humor and does a great job keeping the humor in the same vein of Reno 911. It is important to know that a lot of the humor is based on uncomfortable moments. Yet while many may view this to be a spoof of the feel good sports movies, it really fovuses on farcing the martial arts movie "Enter the Dragon" while taking shots at every martial arts cliche out there.

All I can say about the acting is the performances are just alright and no one really shines. But I think a big part of this is the simple fact that the cast realized an amazing performance would not be useful in a comedy. It is also nice to see Christopher Walken on screen. Of course his roles always seem to be very unique and also he gives them a feeling that they were written just for him and no one else.

While this movie never won any awards. It is nothing more then a pointless, silly and brain cell killing film. You do not have to think and can just sit back with some popcorn and block out the troubles of the world for an hour and a half. I am giving this awesomely bad movie three buckets of popcorn out of five. It is well worth the price of renting.

-The Movie Man-

1 comment:

  1. for some reason, I really enjoyed this movie. I know its somewhat dumb. But hey, I like that! You should check out more stupid comedies also

    ReplyDelete