Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Twilight Saga: Eclipse


As part of our two year anniversary date night we went and saw this movie that Kellianne has really been looking forward to go and see. This is another one of those movies that I naturally go into with really low expectations. While I can say this is probably the best of the three, it is not much better then the others. While the budget has increased since the first one, I still am very unimpressed with the special effects for the most part.

Unfortunately, for me I have a hard time with the chemistry between the leads. The chemistry is just not there. The acting is gradually improving, but to me for the most part is still fairly lackluster. Kristen Stewart is the big redeeming value in the acting, she really carries the movie. She is definitely improving greatly from film to film and is starting to show that she will soon be a starlet that will be in high demand. Yet while Stewart has improved the others have not made strides forward and really just give a very one dimensional personality and a depth that is more shallow then a baby's bath.

I think part of the problem with the acting is simply that of the screenplay. The actors are not truly given the opportunity to truly act or show what's going on but instead deliver too much dialogue. I think this is becoming a a problem with book adaptations into movies, in that they sometimes try to over saturate us with information, yet they give us the information with no depth. I do realize though that I am far from the target demographic for this movie and maybe those within the target demographic are happy with the amount of dialogue that is pulled directly from the books.

I am still unsure as to why I viewed the special effects to still be disappointing. I think a big portion for this is just the fact that I do not like the vampires looking the way they do. For me I think that if vampires were to be blended in with humans then they need to look more humanlike. The makeup used on the vampires makes them look surreal and stick out so much in showing how different they are from the humans. Not to mention I still have a hard time with vampires avoiding the sun because their skin shines like diamonds. I mean really, come on, is there any way to make the vampire less frightening? I do feel like though they did a better job this time around with the werewolf special effects.

The biggest disappointment to me though was the thing that I was looking forward to was the big battle between the newborns versus the Cullens/Werewolves. This confrontation ends up being nothing more then a simple walk in the park and not a big battle in which the viewer is unsure who will come out on top. Plus I am disappointed to see how the killing of a vampire has changed from the first movie to seemingly fairly difficult to something simple as they are almost like ice and so simple to kill.

While the new director did do a great job at focusing on taking those shortcomings from the second movie and did a good job to make changes. The Twilight saga still has a few more weaknesses that can be worked on in the final movies. Although this movie was an upgrade from the previous two, it is not as strong as other movies and in many ways saying it is better then the previous two it is still like comparing car accidents.

Although an improvement, the Twilight saga still has work. I am giving this movie two and a half buckets of popcorn out of five. I am sure this will be a movie we will add to our collection. They have made steps forward, but still have a long way to go to make the final movies better.

-The Movie Man-

No comments:

Post a Comment